Blogger Widgets
Subscribe:

Friday, October 18, 2013

Design & I (Experiencing Design My Way.....)

Apologies for not being in contact or posting as frequent as I was used to. But no worries though because I am free for a while now and hope to pop in occasionally from now on. Nevertheless, I thought of having a series of posts that would help my learning as well as my readers regarding designs, specially focusing on Interiors. As a young designer student, I found peace through my work and my studies and I'm looking forward to share those ideas and concepts with you. Here's my story to you..... ( Apologies ahead if it sounds too boring or waste)



What is DESIGN?
I must say, this is totally my idea so please do not take this a definition. In many people's point of view, design doesn't have a specific definition for design is like art. For me, design is a totally unique way of expressing oneself that is neither perfect nor imperfect. Design is both science and creativity. Every person born to this world is a designer in one way or another. Some identify it through their passion, work, family or even through oneself. I found it through my passion for creating things like greeting cards, costumes & flower arrangements. Design is basically how you see yourself, how you want others to see yourself....


BREAKING FREE......
Being born to a family where both your parents work in the medical sector and literally playing with stethoscope and sphygmo manometers make you want to be like them. My dream was to be a doctor. Not just any, but a famous cardiologist who'll give free medicine to the poor. The idea was so firm in my head that I would dream everyday of becoming this smart female doc. But with time growing so fast and other distractions, please don't take it as showing off or anything, I was amazed with what my hands could do. I was actually happy when I'm creating something, specially those small custom designed greeting cards with lavish embellishments and rhinestones. Whenever I get fed up with studying, I used to make a card or cut my grandmother's clothes so that I'm designing something....


But after studying Biology for four years,I realized that studying by heart and studying about diseases, animals and plants was not my thing. Obviously I would have been okay but it wouldn't be my winning goal. My parents were upset with my idea of wanting to ditch medicine for the sake of design but eventually things turned out to be okay and now they accept me for who I am. Thank you Amma & Thaththa for that.

I know some of may think it's lame to give up your life long dream and pursue something whole lot different just because you feel you can excel in that area plus it is going to be your career as well. Yeah, I felt that too. For months I was stuck with the idea wondering whether I made the right decision. I argued with my parents, fought with them, explained myself to my sister and other relatives, talked with my friends, reasoned my self out in front of the mirror and cried for letting my parents down. Finally without thinking any further, I decided that I wanted to become a designer not to satisfy others, but to satisfy myself and satisfy others in the process. Believe me when I say, it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made and everyone else was like "OMG you are so naive, you'll regret it one day" Yeah, I live in a country where there are many still living in stone age.....


PRESENT......
To be frank there are times I look back and think whether I made the right decision... But what's there to regret? Nothing. I'm happy in a way that I was finally able to do what I like instead of what others wanted me to do but then again, there will always a voice in my head that will keep saying, you turned back on your parents' dream. Still, it'll be worthy if I finally manage to pull thing this off.... 
An year ago, I started studying about Interior Architecture and I'm absolutely in love with that. My uni life is a hell busy one packed with loads of assignments and tests, practicals, site visits and field trips. Nevertheless, all of them are somehow rewarding and entertaining. I guess, that's the feeling you get when you do what you like. :) Time fast too quickly when you start designing or creating things. Sometimes, we at our uni, run out of time and panic so much before assignments and submit them last minute. Every time we do this, we promise to ourselves that it's gonna be the last time but you know that's a lie. Altogether, it's a happening place, the uni and the people in it are genuine and kind.....

In a design school, everybody is equally talented and there's no A, B, C grades to judge you. Your ideas are unique because nobody can steal them from inside your mind. The year I spent studying architecture and design, is I'm sure the beginning to a happy and a satisfying journey ahead..... So don't ever be afraid to love what you do and do what you really love....




If You Like This Kindly Share it



0 comments:

Post a Comment